The post-mortem on carcasses of 65 cows and calves, found dead in a cattle pound in Rapar taluka of Kutch district on Sunday, has concluded cyanide poisoning as the cause of death. This is the second such incident in Kutch in about a year. The incident took place at the Bakna Vid cattle pound of Shri Jivdaya Mandal, popularly known as Rapar panjrapol, located 7 km from Rapar town. It is a trust running three cattle pounds in Rapar with around 8,000 animals.
Cattle-herders noticed some cows falling unconscious around 7.30 pm. Rajendra Kothari, manager of the mandal, on Tuesday said,After our caretakers complained of animals falling unconscious, we rushed some veterinarians to the spot. Unfortunately, of 95 sick cows and calves, we could save only 30.